Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Why Hanukkah?

I have had many interesting conversations with friends lately regarding Hanukkah, so I figured, why not tackle the subject in a blog?

The conversations basically start the same:

them "you celebrate Hanukkah?"

Me "Yes"

Them "Oh, I didn't know you were Jewish!"

Me "I'm not."

Them (long pause and confused look)

It's at this point I get the distinct pleasure of doing 2 things I love: talking about history and talking about Jesus!


Hanukkah is actually a historical celebration of freedom, very much like our 4th of July. If you are interested in reading about the history of Hanukkah, I would encourage you to do so, at one of the many wonderful sites out there that have already done an excellent job in telling the story! My purpose here is not to recount the entire story for you (although if you'd like me to sometime, just ask! I am such a history geek!) Basically, Hanukkah is a historical celebration of the rededication of the temple of the Lord. Unlikely band of farmers and tradesmen become soldiers to defend their families, kick enemy butt, get their country and the temple of God back. Nuff said.

What I find so wonderful, is that all the readings associated with Hanukkah have to do with being a light to the World, and of course, looking forward to THE light of the world that was to come. The Messiah. Now the interesting thing to me is that Israel meant nationally, being a light to the rest of the world, showing them what it meant to follow God, how they were different. Enter Jesus on the scene. Think of the times in Scripture that Jesus refers to himself as "the light of the world". It is thought that these references all came during or very near to the Festival of Dedication (Hanukkah!). Jesus Literally declared himself the LIGHT of the world! The fulfillment of all they had been waiting for.

Hmmm, I don't know about you, but this seems to have some personal relevance as well! It becomes a great time for me personally to check my walk with God. How am I doing? Am I furthering the cause of Christ or the Cause of Kate? How am I doing at pointing people to look at THE ONE who is THE LIGHT?


So, what exactly do we do to celebrate? My kids and I read about the history, and over the 8 days of Hanukkah ask ourselves very real questions about pointing people towards Jesus. We light the menorah and usually do whatever advent reading we are using this year by it's light (this year we are reading Bartholomew's Passage. REALLY AMAZING! ) We play the Dreidel game and talk about the reasons for the symbols and what they all mean.



It is working? Are they getting it? Well, sometimes you never really know if what you are teaching is sinking in. I think every parent out there can relate to that feeling! Sometimes you just do the best you can and then pray it works in the end.



However last night I had a wonderful moment. My son has taken a keen interest in making balloon animals. so much so that he has brought them to many places just to make them for kids! A few times he's brought them to Awana, and this week his awana leader asked him to bring them again so he could use him as part of the object lesson. He was psyched about it! When we got home he gave me the brief run down of what happened. His leader was talking about sometimes people think if they follow God with their life, He's just going to tie them up with all sorts of rules and knots, (holding up a plain balloon) BUT in the hands of the Master, He can shape their life into so much more. At that point Jonathan twisted it into a dog in 10 seconds flat. The kids got the lesson. In the Hands of God, we can be shaped into so much more than we ever thought to dream of! My son was so proud, but my mothers heart melted at what came next:



Me : "See son, your good at Balloon animals, and tonight you got to use your talent to point people to Jesus."


Son: "Yea!" Grinning from ear to ear, turns away to head to bed. then he stops and turns back. "Hey mom?"


Me : "Yes?"


Son: "I DID shine my light today, didn't I? Just like we talked about when we lit the Menorah?"


He got it. In that moment, the lesson became more than an ancient historical story, and suddenly became real. And he understood the point of it all. SO, even if every person I know thinks I am insane for celebrating Hanukkah when I am not even Jewish, I don't care. My kids are gaining some valuable lessons from it, and I am just grateful God brought it to my circle of influence 3 years ago. So my friends, I wish you all a very Happy Hanukkah!!!

No comments: